Monday, August 10, 2009

Be The Change

This seems to be a very popular notion these days, as I'm seeing the quote being used in a lot of different places: "Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi

For many people, Gandhi's name is synonymous with peace and non-violence. It makes sense that one of his credos would be along these lines. If you want a peaceful world, than be peaceful. So simple. He's suggesting we put our money where our mouths are, so to speak. More direct still, we should put our beings where our wishes are.

It's a popular notion but I wonder, as I presently contemplate the idea of being every bit whole, does it work? Does it make everyday, rational sense to people? Gandhi, a giant star among notable human beings, can get away with telling people they should put their existence where their dreams are. But I don't quite have his credentials nor his skills. So I have wrestled with the thought that my impetus to cover the extremely broad topic of, well, connecting one's whole entire self, might be too vague to do any real good.

hmmm. I put on my old copywriter's hat. What is actionable in all this? What problem am I helping to solve? Why would anyone want to read this stuff and keep reading it? What do I want people to do with this information, all these ideas on taking care of each part of our selves.

I want this to make a difference in people's lives.

That's the honest answer. And also make a difference in my life, because hey, I'm people, too.

So it occurs to me. My writing has to be the change I wish to see. It needs to enable. It has to tell you some things you need to know. Deliver some calls to action to you. Like,

PICK ONE THING. You are your own perfect project, bit by bit. Build your own existence, improve your outlook, and be the change. And me, too!

You can absolutely pick alsomething truly meaningful to you, all on your own right now, but just in case you'd like an outline and a partner, I'm happy to be your guide. After all, wellness is my business (I own an alternative fitness studio, consult with people on their healthy lifestyles and focus on mind body work...plus have a background in medical writing). Wellness is also my aim.

So, if you want to ride along with me, please, let me know! I'd love your comments and hope to hear about the Things you Pick. Over the next year, week by week, you'll consider how to reclaim your time (next week's topic), love your heart, build your core, pamper your feet, form new habits and renew your energy, and so much more.

Now, none of these directives will do much good if you, personally, wish to see a different sort of change in your world. Maybe you want to be thin, or rich, or skilled at flower arranging. You get to be any change you wish to see, and you get to wish for any change you want. It's all about you feeling whole and balanced, able-bodied and -minded. All the time. Because you decide to.

Pick Specifically!
Here's the play-by-play of how I'm using "Pick One Thing" to specifically drive me to "be the change" and change my attitude to change my days:

1. First, I was honest with myself. What change am I wishing for that I'm not seeing happen? It took some introspection, and I disallowed myself from making any excuses or admonishments in the process. I just identified what I really wanted.
2. I figured out what I really wanted was: "a sense of real personal pleasure as a relished element of my every day".
3. So I picked ^that^ as my One Thing. It happened on vacation easy enough. I read three books without a hitch. But what about now, at home, back to work, with family, hustle and hassle?
4. Well, what about now? I mean, nothing, really. It's the same! I still wish to see this change so I am "being" it. I'm quite simply finding personal pleasures available to me, to relish as elements of my every day.
  • I made coffee and read a book in the quiet every morning on vacation.
  • I can do that here, in my home.
  • I kept the agenda simple, meals & clothing & clean-up simple, while at the condo.
  • I can do that here in my every day.
  • I avoided starting up argumentative talk and opted to table the subject when communication was off-kilter, because it's not fun to fight on vacation.
  • It's not fun most of the time, actually, so I can let things drop and make peacefulness and added pleasure in my every day.
  • I decided there was something fun about staying active and something fun about kicking back.
  • That's a decision I'm sticking with.
I can hardly believe how much inner space I'm creating, how much lighter my heart and mind are, since picking this one thing for myself. It's the kind of existence I've dreamed of, and I'm learning I can live it. Today. Now. Whenever.

So, watch out world, this be this Pick One Thing approach is powerful stuff! At least one thing's for sure. It works for me. And as I always say, do whatever works. BE whatever works. Pick One Thing and work it!

Let the choices begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment